The present club was founded in 1946 following a ‘challenge’ match between Hedgestown and the Man O’ War. Both sides had difficulty fielding a full team, so they decided to amalgamate to form the Man O’ War Gaelic Football Club. Fielding a team continued to be an uphill battle over the following years, but despite these difficulties and numerous other setbacks, Johnny Jones – a founder member of the club, never gave up in his efforts to establish the club as a force to be reckoned with. He was eventually rewarded in 1954 when the Man O’ War GFC won its first trophy – the Nugent Cup for the Fingal Junior League.

An eleven year wait ensued before the Man O’ War won its next trophy in the shape of the Jubilee Cup, when defeating Starlights in Ballyboughal. This win sparked a renewed enthusiasm and juvenile teams were formed. These juveniles were eventually to form the nucleus of the team which won many competitions in the Fingal League and achieved the club’s crowning glory in 1979, the Dublin Junior Football Championship. After years of heartache and disappointment in the later stages of the Championship, Man O’ War won their only Dublin Championship when defeating Fingallians by the minimum margin in Rush, having trailed for most of the match.

Successes came sporadically during the late ’80s and ’90s with the team now playing football in Division 8. However, a new generation of juveniles from the mid-90’s were the basis of the team which won the Parson Cup in 2005 and earned a return to Division 7. Subsequent years have seen the team progress through Division 6 to Division 5 where the team has shown that it is well capable of playing at this level. Some compensation was earned for the loss of the 2006 Junior ‘B’ Championship Final in May 2007 when the Division 6 title and the Stacey Cup were won later in the year, followed by the Conlon Cup in 2008. Our men’s adult team have competed in two Championship finals in 2009 and 2011. For more recent developments, go to our Men’s Team page

Our Ladies section was formed in 1992 by Bernice Jones Moore and has gone from strength to strength, culminating with a Junior Championship title in 2019. For more information, go to our Ladies Team page

In 2008, an ambitious club development project commenced.  A second full-sized grass pitch was developed and full floodlights were added. In August 2015, a new and modern clubhouse consisting of a hall, four changing rooms and some meeting rooms was officially opened. In 2020-2021, we have plans to develop the first floor of the clubhouse into a fitness area and to develop walkway areas around the grounds.